As Canadian Screen Week kicks off and CBC celebrates 236 nominations at the 2019 Canadian Screen Awards, the national public broadcaster is confirming an initial round of original scripted and unscripted renewals for the upcoming 2019-20 season on CBC and the CBC Gem streaming service. To date, 17 titles across drama, comedy, factual, arts and documentary programming have been confirmed to return, with additional renewals across all genres and content areas to be announced later this spring.
“CBC is where Canada’s best creative talent come to tell their stories. The return of such a wide range of original series produced by homegrown creators is a testament to how strongly our Canadian storytelling is connecting with audiences on all platforms,” said Sally Catto, General Manager, Programming, CBC.
Returning series for 2019-20 confirmed to date are as follows:
- ANNE WITH AN E (Season 3, 10×60, Northwood Entertainment)*
- BARONESS VON SKETCH SHOW (Season 4, 10×30, Frantic Films)*
- BURDEN OF TRUTH (Season 3, 8×60, ICF Films, Entertainment One and Eagle Vision)
- CBC ARTS: EXHIBITIONISTS (Season 5, 26×30, CBC Arts)
- CBC DOCS POV (Season 5, 18×60)
- CORONER (Season 2, 8×60, Muse Entertainment, Back Alley Films and Cineflix Studios)
- THE DETECTIVES (Season 3, 8×60, WAM Media GRP Inc.)
- DRAGONS’ DEN (Season 14, 10×60, CBC)*
- FRANKIE DRAKE MYSTERIES (Season 3, 10×60, Shaftesbury)
- THE GREAT CANADIAN BAKING SHOW (Season 3, 9×60, Proper Television)*
- HEARTLAND (Season 13, 10×60, Seven24 Films and Dynamo Films)
- IN THE MAKING (Season 2, 8×30, White Pine Pictures)
- KIM’S CONVENIENCE (Season 4, 13×30, Thunderbird Entertainment)*
- MURDOCH MYSTERIES (Season 13, 18×60, Shaftesbury)
- THE NATURE OF THINGS (Season 59, 18×60)
- SCHITT’S CREEK (Season 6, final season – 14×30, Not A Real Company Productions Inc.)*
- STILL STANDING (Season 5, 13×30, Frantic Films)*
*Previously announced as returning.
CBC is celebrating 236 nominations at the 2019 Canadian Screen Awards, a new record for the national public broadcaster. ANNE WITH AN E and SCHITT’S CREEK each received 15 nominations – the most for any scripted series this year. THE NATURE OF THINGS was honoured with 21 nominations and CBC DOCS POV received seven. Other returning titles that were nominated include: BARONESS VON SKETCH SHOW (5), FRANKIE DRAKE MYSTERIES (5), THE GREAT CANADIAN BAKING SHOW (5), MURDOCH MYSTERIES (5), STILL STANDING (4), IN THE MAKING(3), THE DETECTIVES (2), BURDEN OF TRUTH (1) and DRAGONS’ DEN (1).
Canadian Screen Week runs March 25-31, culminating in the Canadian Screen Awards: Broadcast Gala which will be available live on CBC and the free CBC Gem streaming service on Sunday, March 31 at 8 p.m. (9 p.m. AT and 9:30 p.m. NT). A global live stream will be available on youtube.com/cbc.
CBC/Radio-Canada is Canada’s national public broadcaster. Through our mandate to inform, enlighten and entertain, we play a central role in strengthening Canadian culture. As Canada’s trusted news source, we offer a uniquely Canadian perspective on news, current affairs and world affairs. Our distinctively homegrown entertainment programming draws audiences from across the country. Deeply rooted in communities, CBC/Radio-Canada offers diverse content in English, French and eight Indigenous languages. We also deliver content in Spanish, Arabic and Chinese, as well as both official languages, through Radio Canada International (RCI). We are leading the transformation to meet the needs of Canadians in a digital world.