LOT - Lower Ossington Theatre
PRODUCTION TITLE: DISNEY’S NEWSIES – THE BROADWAY MUSICAL
COMPANY: The LOT – Lower Ossington Theatre
DIRECTED BY: Alan Kinsella
CHOREOGRAPHED BY: Adam Sergison
MUSICAL DIRECTION BY: Mike Ross
AUDITION DATES: July 27 & July 30, 2018
AUDITION LOCATION: Toronto
CALL-BACK DATE: August 3, 2018
REHEARSALS START: September 17, 2018
PERFORMANCE DATES: November 2, 2018 – January 20, 2019
PAY RATE: All roles are paid, non-equity.
• The Lower Ossington Theatre is primarily committed to supporting young professionals by creating a work space that enables them to practice and refine their craft and to surprise, delight, challenge and inspire audiences. Lower Ossington Theatre provides great roles for great performers. Our goal is to take academic and vocational training to the ‘next stage’ with real-world experience. Our professional teams set high expectations for cast members.
• Lower Ossington Theatre is committed to gender equity and cultural diversity in all of our practices. We strongly encourage submissions from all performers interested in being involved with thisproduction, regardless of listed character descriptions.
• Lower Ossington Theatre does not consider personal measurements as part of the audition process.
• All shows in our season feature strong roles for strong dancers in addition to character roles. All roles require excellent ability in singing, acting and dance.
• Lower Ossington Theatre is casting all roles in our upcoming production of Disney’sNewsies The Broadway Musical.
• Stop the presses! This Disney film turned Tony-winning Broadway hit inspires everyone to fight for what’s right and seize the day.
• Set in turn-of-the century New York City, Newsies is the rousing tale of Jack Kelly, a charismatic newsboy and leader of a band of teenaged “newsies.” When titans of publishing raise distribution prices at the newsboys’ expense, Jack rallies newsies from across the city to strike against the unfair conditions and fight for what’s right!
• Based on the 1992 motion picture and inspired by a true story, Newsies features a Tony Award-winning score by Alan Menken (Little Shop of Horrors, Sister Act) and Jack Feldman and a book by Tony Award winner Harvey Fierstein (Kinky Boots). Featuring the now classic songs “Carrying the Banner,” “Seize the Day,” and “Santa Fe,” Newsies is packed with non-stop thrills and a timeless message, perfect for the whole family and every audience.
• All performers may be asked to perform multiple roles.
• Various Ensemble roles are available and include some of the below.
The charismatic leader of the Manhattan newsies, is an orphaned dreamer and artist who yearns to get out of the crowded streets of New York and make a better life for himself out West. Fiercely protective of his best friend, Crutchie, and strongly loyal, Jack isn’t afraid to use his voice to attain better conditions for the working kids of New York City. Though living on the streets has given him a tough-guy exterior, Jack has a big heart and can demonstrate a sweet vulnerability – especially when it comes to bantering with a certain reporter. Must have a great pop tenor voice and sense of physicality.
Vocal range top: A4
Vocal range bottom: Bb2
A dedicated newsie with a bum leg that’s painful, but helps sell more papes. Though they walk with the assistance of a crutch, Crutchie doesn’t let it define them; when in a jam, Jack Kelly’s best friend relies on a goofy- sweet sense of humor and optimistic resilience. Crutchie is the heart of the resistance. Though their movement will suggest his bum leg, Crutchie should still be included in the dance numbers.
Vocal range top: A4
Vocal range bottom: C3
Les’s straight-laced, bigger sibling starts selling newspapers to help their family earn a living, but becomes swept up in the fervor of the strike. A leader in their own right who is learning to use thier voice to uplift others, Davey is the brains of the resistance.
Vocal range top: A4
Vocal range bottom: D3
Davey’s cheeky younger sibling, is inspired by the freedom of the newsies and loves their independent lifestyle. A precocious and natural newsie, Les is an intuitive newsie and a pint-sized charmer. They should present as younger than the other newsies.
Vocal range top: Bb3
Vocal range bottom: Db3
Including Albert, Buttons, Elmer, Finch, Henry, Ike, Jo Jo, Mike, Mush, Race, Romeo, Specs, Splasher, and Tommy Boy, are some of the hard-working kids of New York City that go on strike for a livable wage.
An ambitious young reporter, works hard to make a name for herself as a legitimate journalist in a time when women aren’t taken seriously. Quick, funny, and resourceful, she boldly captures the voice of a new generation rising in her coverage of the newsies’ strike. While she generally has no time for cocky, streetwise young men, she makes an exception for Jack Kelly. Though she only has a brief dance solo in “King of New York,” Katherine should have a great contemporary pop voice with a high belt – diction is key.
Vocal range top: F5
Vocal range bottom: A3
Or “Weasel,” runs the distribution window for the World and knows most of the newsies by name. Assisted by the intimidating Delancey brothers, who keep order by any means necessary, Wiesel is Pulitzer’s disgruntled paper- pusher.
Oscar and Morris Delancey
Tough brothers who work at the distribution window for the World, take the side of the publishers in the strike and are known to use their fists to make a point.
A pompous businessman through and through, owns the World and is concerned solely with the bottom line. Katherine’s no-nonsense father, Pulitzer doesn’t sympathize with the strikers, but he does eventually – and grudgingly – respect Jack.
Vocal range top: F4
Vocal range bottom: C3
Inspired by vaudeville performer Aida Overton Walker, this big-voiced saloon singer and star of the Bowery offers her theater as a safe haven for the newsies. An astute entertainer with great comic delivery, she’s a good friend to Jack and stands firmly behind the newsies in their fight for justice.
Vocal range top: E5
Vocal range bottom: F3
Many versatile ensemble parts including; Newsies, Scabs, Pulitzer’s Associates, Bowery Beauties, Nuns, Policeman, and many other feature parts.
• Please prepare a short musical 16 bar selection and a short dramatic monologue.
• Only those granted an audition time will be contacted.
• Video submission will be accepted by request ONLY, please contact us if you are not able to attend but wish to make a video submission.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS
SUBMISSIONS INSTRUCTIONS – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
1 – PLEASE EMAIL A RESUME, HEADSHOT (OR RECENT PICTURE) & YOUR CONTACT INFO
2 – IF YOU HAVE AN AGENT, PLEASE PROVIDE THEIR NAME & CONTACT INFO
3 – MENTION YOU SAW THIS NOTICE ON eBOSS CANADA
4 – PLEASE USE EMAIL SUBJECT LINE: NEWSIES – <ROLE> – <YOUR NAME>
(Subject Line Example: NEWSIES – DAVEY – JOHN DOE)
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We sincerely thank everyone for their submissions
but only those talent selected for an audition will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.