In SOCAN’s distribution of royalties on August 15, 2020, we processed a total of 937 submissions for virtual live concerts performed on Facebook and Instagram during the COVID-19 lockdown, for a total payout of more than $130,000. This was the first distribution of royalties to include Facebook/Instagram online concerts under SOCAN’s new Encore! program. A total of approximately $200,000 is available each quarter under the program, until March 7, 2021.
“Like so many Canadians, SOCAN member songwriters, composers, and music publishers are facing tough times with the loss of revenue from touring and in-person concerts,” said Jennifer Brown, Interim-CEO of SOCAN. “Many of our members have stepped up for fans, staging online concerts to bring the public together and keep their careers moving ahead, so it’s only fair that they get paid for their generous work with our Encore! program.”
To receive an Encore! payment for a live music event on Facebook or Instagram:
- The performance must occur on either the Facebook live or Instagram live platform as an Event, from March 15, 2020, to March 7, 2021 (inclusive).
- The performance must be at least 10 songs/compositions, or at least 30 minutes.
- At least 100 people must have watched the online event, live, while it was happening.
- A set list of all music performed, along with proof of performance and proof of audience via screen capture, has to be sent via SOCAN’s Notification of Live Music Performance online submission in your SOCAN member account.
- Claims must be made within 90 days of the Facebook/Instagram concert occurring.
- For detailed instructions on how to submit, go to http://www.socan.com/get-set-get-paid/#online.
Each online concert is eligible for a total payment of $150, with shares of royalties going to all rights holders of the music performed.