Born in Taipei, Taiwan, Chase Tang’s family immigrated to Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada where he grew up playing hockey. He is the youngest of 3 boys, his mother was a stay at home mom & his father an entrepreneur. Earning a Bachelor’s degree in Business from the University of Guelph in Ontario. Chase was a successful corporate executive before deciding to leave it behind so he can follow his passion for the movie industry.
1. WHAT WAS YOUR JOURNEY TO BECOMING AN ACTOR? WHERE DID IT BEGIN?
I had worked in the corporate world for 8 years prior to acting, I have an honors bachelors of commerce degree in Marketing Management from the University of Guelph. I left the Corporate world in early 2016 & took my first ever acting class May 2016.
2. WHAT PROJECT ARE YOU MOST PROUD OF AND WHY?
Netflix for sure! Portraying a Supervillian in Jupiter’s Legacy because it was the first major role I’ve had the greatest opportunity to bring to life that gave me a break in this industry.
3. WHAT ADVICE DO YOU HAVE FOR ASPIRING ACTORS?
Take care of your life outside of acting because if your personal life is a mess, there is no way you will be able to give what you need to make your career take off. Look after yourself financially, emotionally, physically & most importantly mentally.
4. WHAT ADVICE CAN YOU GIVE ASPIRING ACTORS FOR PREPARING FOR AN AUDITION? (E.G. DO YOU STUDY WITH A PRIVATE COACH?)
I only do private coaching session before all self tape & in person auditions either in their form of video call or in person coaching. You need to be off book & it’s your job to bring this script & these words to life.
5. WHICH ACTING TEACHER/COACH/SCHOOL PLAYED THE BIGGEST ROLE IN YOUR CAREER?)
I’ve been blessed to cross paths with many amazing acting coaches but if I had to choose just one ………. John Stevens at Talent Inc Canada
6. DO YOU FEEL IT IS NECESSARY FOR PERFORMERS TO PROMOTE THEMSELVES IN ORDER TO ADVANCE THEIR CAREERS? (E.G. USING SOCIAL MEDIA)
100% you need to promote yourself because you can be the most talented performer but if you don’t have an audience your artistic ability’s will not be recognized. You have to understand how to brand & market yourself.
7. WHAT IS THE HARDEST ROLE/CHARACTER YOU’VE EVER PLAYED?
I’ve enjoyed every opportunity I’ve been given immensely so surprisingly there has not been a role / character I felt was hard TBH.
8. IF YOU COULD TURN BACK TIME AND APPEAR IN ANY FILM MADE IN THE PAST 20 YEARS, WHICH FILM AND CHARACTER WOULD YOU CHOOSE … AND WHY?
Hands down …… Jack Dawson in Titanic, I loved everything about that character, the movie & how Leonardo DiCaprio portrayed such a icon role in classic movie. Titanic! One of THE greatest films of all time.
9. WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE THE CANADIAN FILM/TV INDUSTRY CAN DO DIFFERENTLY IN ORDER TO GROW?
Casting MORE Canadians as LEADS in major studios production. Netflix / Amazon / Disney Plus / Hulu / FOX / Warner Brothers
10. WE ALL HAVE MENTORS. THESE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO GIVE US THE HOPE, INSPIRATION, AND THE DRIVE TO KEEP GOING. IN THE INDUSTRY, WHO ARE THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN YOUR MENTORS AND WHY?
I don’t have a mentor that I look up to however the kind of people who give me hope & inspiration are individuals who are strong, discipline, selfless & show a tremendously amount of KINDEST. People who are able to find good in bad situations & who make the most of their time on earth. These people give me the strength I need to move forward when the weight of entertainment industry becomes discouraging.
CHASE IS REPRESENTED BY: LUBER ROKLIN ENTERTAINMENT
FOLLOW CHASE ON SOCIAL MEDIA: