TORONTO (Dec. 22, 2020) – With the Fall 2020 season now complete, data from Numeris confirms that CTV leads its closest competitor by more than 40% in primetime with total viewers and in the key A25-54 demo, increasing its advantage year-over-year by over 20%. With growth in primetime viewership throughout the current fall season, CTV is Canada’s most-watched network across daytime, primetime, and late night with total viewers and in all key adult demos. Home to the most-watched series in the country, with Canada’s #1 series and drama THE GOOD DOCTOR, the #1 reality series THE MASKED SINGER, and the most-watched comedies YOUNG SHELDON and THE CONNERS, CTV has more Top 10 and Top 20 programs than all other networks combined, with:
- Eight of the Top 10 programs with total viewers
- Seven of the Top 10 programs with A18-49 and A25-54
- The Top 5 programs with A25-54 and A18-49
CTV’s primetime schedule experienced growth throughout the fall season, climbing 6% with total viewers and 8% among A25-54 in the five weeks following the launch of new seasons of GREY’S ANATOMY and STATION 19 in early November, versus the same period last year. During the same timeframe, CTV’s lead over its closest competitor increased to 56% with total viewers and 73% in the A25-54 demo. “In this unprecedented year, which saw disruptions across the entertainment industry, CTV’s sound strategy delivered a winning schedule for viewers and our trusted advertisers,” said Mike Cosentino, President, Content and Programming, Bell Media. “We’re truly grateful that during these challenging times Canadian viewers turned to CTV for entertainment, escape, and trusted information.” “We faced some incredible challenges together this fall, and that includes our advertising partners,” said Stewart Johnston, President, Media Sales, Marketing, and TSN. “We want to thank our partners for their confidence in CTV to deliver big audiences when it counted.” CTV’s strong schedule packed with fan-favourite returning series and new hits have contributed to the network’s successful fall season:
- In its 17th season, GREY’S ANATOMY is the most-watched series in Canada across all key adult demos, and is up 13% with total viewers compared to the same weeks last year, delivering its most-watched premiere since 2013 with 2.3 million viewers.
- THE GOOD DOCTOR remains the most-watched series in Canada with total viewers, up 5% over last season, and ranks in the Top 3 with A25-54 and A18-49
- THE MASKED SINGER has become the most-watched reality series in the country with 1.9 million viewers, seeing audience growth in its fourth season over its debut season on CTV last fall with total viewers (+15%) and in A25-54 (+7%). The series is in the Top 2 across all key adult demos with GREY’S ANATOMY.
- Out of simulcast, STATION 19 is a Top 6 program across total viewers and all key adult demos
- YOUNG SHELDON ranks in the Top 10 with total viewers and across all key adult demos, with THE CONNERS in the Top 10 among A25-54 and A18-49
- B POSITIVE is the #1 new series across all key adult demos, and the most-watched new comedy, averaging 1.1 million viewers
- Season 2 of JANN was the #1 Canadian comedy in all key adult demos
- THIS IS US remains a Top 10 series overall, currently averaging 1.5 million viewers
- BIG SKY has become the #1 new drama in the key A25-54 demo
CTV remains Canada’s most trusted news source with CTV NEWS AT 6 ranking in the Top 10, averaging 1.6 million viewers. The evening newscast has seen a 15% increase in total viewers over last year, while CTV NATIONAL NEWS WITH LISA LAFLAMME remains Canada’s most-watched national newscast, averaging 1.1 million viewers and ranking in the Top 20.
BELL MEDIA PRESS RELEASE