TORONTO CANCELS CITY-PERMITTED EVENTS UNTIL OCTOBER, WILL STAGE ONLINE ONLY NUIT BLANCHE
Toronto has cancelled all city-led and permitted events through the end of September and will also revamp its all-night Nuit Blanche art festival into an online-only affair for this year only.
The city had previously cancelled all permitted events with attendance of more than 250 people through the end of July and all events with attendance of more than 25,000 people through the end of August.
Mayor John Tory, however, confirmed at his bi-weekly briefing on Monday that a decision has now been made to cancel all city-led and permitted events though Sept. 30.
That will wipe out a number of popular street festivals such as the Taste of the Kingsway, the Cabbagetown Festival and the Roncesvalles Polish Festival. It will also preclude the Toronto Internarial Film Festival from staging its annual “Festival Street” event along King Street, though TIFF itself is expected to continue in a reduced form.
“To continue the progress we have made to reduce the spread of COVID-19 the city is extending the cancellation of city-led and city permitted outdoor special events through Sept. 30,” Tory said in making the announcement. “I know that this is a decision that is very disappointing for many and it is a difficult decision for us to make but we believe that it is the right thing for us to do based on public health advice.”
City plans drive-in entertainment to fill gap
The city has already cancelled numerous major summer events, including Pride Toronto, the Caribbean Carnival and the Taste of the Danforth. READ MORE
TORONTO CANCELS FESTIVALS UNTIL SEPT. 30 AS CITY SEES 40 NEW COVID-19 CASES DAILY
Nuit Blanche moving online, Toronto Waterfront Marathon cancelled, organizers to hold virtual race
Toronto has cancelled all city-led outdoor special events until the end of September as the city continues to see about 40 new cases of COVID-19 daily, officials said Monday.
Events that have been cancelled include festivals and other large gatherings that are either organized by, or receive permits from, the city, Mayor John Tory told reporters at a city hall news briefing.
The events would normally be held at outdoor sites managed by the city or other public locations, such as roads, parks and civic squares
The Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, scheduled for Sunday Oct.18, has also been cancelled but a virtual race will be held instead from Oct. 1 to Oct. 31. READ MORE
TORONTO CANCELS ALL MAJOR EVENTS AND FESTIVALS UNTIL OCTOBER
Just hours after the provincial government confirmed that “nearly all businesses and public spaces” will soon be allowed to reopen in Ontario, the City of Toronto has announced the extension of a ban on all major events for at least 12 more weeks.
“To continue the progress made in reducing the spread of COVID-19, the City is extending the cancellation of City-led and City-permitted outdoor special events through September 30,” reads a release issued Monday afternoon.
“All outdoor special event permits through to September 30 are cancelled, as well as the permit for the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon on October 18.” READ MORE